Ill Will


I recently wrote a post about judgmental thoughts and the way that they actually make me feel badly about myself. An essay by Gil Fronsdal about ill will really hits the nail on the head.
"Being caught up in ill will is itself painful [my emphasis]. It constricts the mind and heart. Our viewpoint can become narrow and hostile. Ill will can predispose us to focus on whatever is undesirable or going wrong. We become more reactive and are more likely to act impulsively. For some people, the discomfort that comes from having ill will is fuel to keep it going; aversion to aversion perpetuates aversion."  - Gil Fronsdal, The Hindrance of Ill Will
Negative emotions are self-perpetuating:  they feed on themselves. Like drinking coffee or eating too much sugar, they produce a kind of excited feeling, and your brain/body tells you "this is good." It's odd, isn't it, that we can have an aversion to something, and our response is to keep thinking about it, to keep bringing it up in conversation, and sometimes, to keep approaching the people who caused us to feel that way.

To get out of the cycle of ill will, first we have to recognize that we're in it. We also have to understand it's not good for us. Being under the influence of ill will is part of ordinary life - there's no need to judge ourselves (isn't that just another bit of ill will?). Simple mindful presence is enough for ill will to start to lose its influence.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand: I'm not suggesting that people stop caring or taking action when something is wrong. I'm talking about taking action against the harmful effects of ill will on ourselves. When we do this, it actually opens us up to being more effective to counteract things that are unjust or wrong in the wider world.

I have a new kitten, and he loves to dig his claws into my jeans, and sometimes, my leg.  My first reaction is to lose my temper , but the most effective way to get him to release his claws is to hold him securely and calmly until he relaxes.

Related posts:
Judgmental Thoughts...and Practicing Compassion
What to Look for in a Teacher



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a "Rush" Woven Seat Chair Using Old Jeans (or Fabric Scraps)

Keep One Point

Kotsu-Kotsu