Judgmental Thoughts...and Practicing Compassion

I have long believed that we pretty much construct the world we live in from our thoughts.  I can't blame people brought up in an objective materialist tradition for thinking that sounds kind of "New Age-y." It makes a certain amount of sense that if you mistrust people, they will mistrust you in return, and vice versa. But constructing your entire reality? Bah! OK. It's just a theory and I'm testing it through personal observation.

So, here's one experiment:
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." - Dalai Lama
For a while I have been working on compassion by noticing my negative thoughts about others and...well...substituting alternate thoughts. I have a lot of thoughts about others that I definitely would not want to share. Certain situations are really fertile for nasty thoughts: trying to find a parking space; in line in the grocery store; in the changing room of Target...So, I try to hear these little Tourette's-like blurps and tell myself "Hey, she wouldn't be yelling at her kid like that if her life weren't really stressful," or, "I admit I made an equally dumb parking maneuver yesterday and nearly got killed."

What an unbearable Pollyanna I am.

The thing is, I find as I (heel draggingly) work to become more compassionate to others, I also find I am more compassionate to myself. It's as if, each time I thought something heartless and nasty about someone else, it was a little subconscious time bomb aimed at myself:

  • If she looks so terrible in those pants, I must go around looking pretty stupid half the time.
  • If that guy is too stupid to use a cell phone while driving, what was I yesterday when I was driving halfway on the shoulder?
Instead, when I think, "I'm sure he didn't mean to cut me off like that, everyone has off days," I give myself permission to have off days, too.

So, I think I have found a concrete connection between being compassionate to others and being happy oneself. Brick by brick, I'm constructing my reality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strength Training for Kokikai Aikido

Comparing Kokikai Aikido to Other Martial Arts - A Survey

How to Make a "Rush" Woven Seat Chair Using Old Jeans (or Fabric Scraps)