Relax Progressively


"Relax progressively" is one of the four basic principles of Kokikai Aikido. It is a simple idea that can have profound effects. In Kokikai we learn that we can be physically relaxed and still remain strong-in fact, we can be even stronger when we are relaxed. This idea is counterintuitive for a lot of people, but you only have to spend a little time on the mat in a Kokikai class to see that it is true.

The concept that relaxed can be stronger can even be extended to cognitive relaxation.  I've often found myself becoming anxious and distracted by a stressful situation, sometimes for days. Especially if my stress was based on an angry or feared interaction with someone, I would rehearse or replay the conversation endlessly in my mind.

At some point I had a realization that there was no purpose to hanging on to this fear, anger and distraction. They didn't help me when the time came to handle the situation. And they made all the time in between pretty miserable. 

I try to work some practice of physical relaxation into as much of my day as possible, not just in my aikido practice. Physically I catch myself at my computer, while driving, while washing dishes, and run through a checklist: Can I relax my shoulders more? Upper back? Legs?

As you advance in your practice you can focus on even more subtle details: maybe not your upper back, but specific muscles between your shoulder blades. Relax your face and the sides of your neck. As one of my favorite yoga teachers likes to say, "There's always one thing more you can do!"

In my experience, practicing in this way in aikido has a profound influence on the way you approach the normal stresses of daily life. The evidence of this is that every advanced student of Maruyama Sensei exhibits a calmness and sense of competence that comes from being both relaxed and strong.

Isn't that a great thing to look forward to as a martial arts student?


Related Posts
Focus!
Keep One Point
Positive Mind

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a "Rush" Woven Seat Chair Using Old Jeans (or Fabric Scraps)

Keep One Point

Kotsu-Kotsu