Focus!!!

A lot of things I do seem to share common elements. In playing improvised music, practicing Kokikai aikido and yoga, there is lots of stuff, call it "technique," that must be learned by practicing over and over (maybe not quite 10,000 hours, but it sometimes feels that way).

Yet you can practice all those hours and still not tap the richness of the art unless you include something more. This "something more," I think, is developed with a practice that incorporates paying attention. Paying attention means just being aware without judgment. In playing the piano, that means listening with an open heart and mind, and not clinging to anything you just played. Just continuing to listen. And in self-defense, yoga, dancing, art, basketball, marksmanship - although I'm not experienced with all of these, I think there are many similarities.

As I get better at paying attention, I can perceive physical tension that's unnecessary and let it go. I can be more aware of everything that's going on around me (whether that's listening to the rest of the band in jazz, or being aware of my attacker in aikido). As I let go of judgmental thoughts, I can devote more of my mind to what I am doing.

The great thing about paying attention is I can practice it anywhere. I used to think of my 40 minute commute as an annoyance. Now I think of it as a way to practice the piano. Or aikido. or yoga. or _____(fill in your favorite practice).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a "Rush" Woven Seat Chair Using Old Jeans (or Fabric Scraps)

Keep One Point

Kotsu-Kotsu