Five Tests for Ethical Speech

Some years ago I made a commitment to speak the truth, in other words, not to lie. Since then I have been working to refine my speech, so that, more than simply speaking truly, I speak in a way that is good for myself and others, i.e. ethically.

I came across these five tests for ethical speech in a talk by the Buddhist scholar and teacher, Gil Fronsdal.

They're posted above my desk. I try (!) not to open my mouth unless my speech meets all five tests. I'm afraid most of the time I end up administering the test after the fact...

Five Tests for Ethical Speech
Is it True?
Is it Kind?
Is it Useful?
Is it Timely?
Does it Create Concord?

For me, the last test is the toughest.

Comments

  1. Love this, Judy! Thank you for sharing. Hope you have a wonderful 2015!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a "Rush" Woven Seat Chair Using Old Jeans (or Fabric Scraps)

Keep One Point

Kotsu-Kotsu