Creating a Life with Ballast


Ludolf Bakhuizen - Ships Running Aground in a Storm
Ludolf Bakhuizen - Ships Running Aground in a Storm
In my practice of Kokikai Aikido, Maruyama Sensei sometimes talks about creating ballast. If I were a sailboat with no ballast, the high waves would capsize my boat. If my boat has a secure, heavy ballast, my boat will stay on course, even though the highest waves will rock it.

When we're faced with a threatening opponent there are many things that can act like high waves, throwing us off balance. These may not be just physical things (a strong grip, a fast punch). They may be things like our own fear or lack of self-confidence. "Ballast" includes physical aspects (centering, posture, good technique) as well as mental components (believing in yourself, letting go of the outcome, not thinking of yourself as "opposed," but "moving with" the opponent, being mentally relaxed).

Oddly, or maybe not so oddly, this practice of aikido tends to give me more "ballast" in dealing with the storms of daily life as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a "Rush" Woven Seat Chair Using Old Jeans (or Fabric Scraps)

Keep One Point

Kotsu-Kotsu