The Mona Lisa Smile

In his book "Peace is Every Step," Thich Nhat Hanh writes:

"When I see someone smile, I know immediately that he or she is dwelling in awareness. This half-smile, how many artists have labored to bring it to the lips of countless statues and paintings?..Mona Lisa's smile is light, just a hint of a smile. Yet even a smile like that is enough to relax all the muscles in our face, to banish all worries and fatigue. A tiny bud of a smile on our lips nourishes awareness and calms us miraculously. It returns to us the peace we thought we had lost."

Remembering to bring this small smile to the face can do wonders, not only for our own mental state, but also for the way we treat others. But how much harder is it to retain this relaxed, calm state when engaging in self-defense?

I remember about 10 years ago watching Maruyama Sensei experimenting with this half-smile. I would see him in quiet moments at the side of the mat, smiling a little more, a little less, until he had the perfect relaxed smile. It was at that time that he began to throw people with this same relaxed face, so that even the most dynamic throws looked absolutely effortless. I have looked at hundreds of photographs and video frames of Sensei throwing uke in every situation, and (unless he chooses to look otherwise), his face always looks absolutely calm and relaxed.

I realized just how extraordinary this was when I saw photos of myself during an aikido demonstration. I had worked hard to prepare my mind, and at the time I thought I was at my most relaxed. My face showed the truth.

So, I have something to aim for. What would life be without hopes and dreams?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a "Rush" Woven Seat Chair Using Old Jeans (or Fabric Scraps)

Keep One Point

Kotsu-Kotsu