Watch your thoughts...

When I read about the Buddhist idea of karma, I had no problem understanding the importance of speaking and acting ethically (or, in terms of the "Eightfold path," engaging in "right speech" and "right action"). The consequences of our actions ripple out in every direction, in ways that we can't know or even imagine. Ultimately, if you believe that everything living is connected in some way, then you understand that when you hurt others, you hurt yourself.

However, I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had difficulty with the concept of "right intention." How can our thoughts cause harm? Then I heard a quote attributed to Frank Outlaw, which I then chased to this quote from the Buddha. I think this provides good motivation for "right intention."

The thought manifests as the word;
The word manifests as the deed;
The deed develops into habit;
And habit hardens into character;
So watch the thought and its ways with care,
And let it spring from love
Born out of concern for all beings…
As the shadow follows the body,
As we think, so we become.

- From the Dhammapada
Sayings of the Buddha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a "Rush" Woven Seat Chair Using Old Jeans (or Fabric Scraps)

Keep One Point

Kotsu-Kotsu