Making Mistakes - with One Point

I roomed with a fellow accordionist at a recent music camp, and she asked me about my favorite subject: Kokikai Aikido and how it helps me in playing music. I think I said something like this:

We sometimes practice a partners exercise or drill in aikido, using wooden practice swords (bokken). The concept is somewhat like the tai chi practice of pushing hands. I've described it before, but here it is again:

Leon Brooks Sensei (L) - Shuji Maruyama Sensei (R)
Maruyama Sensei has pushed Brooks Sensei's bokken
aside and is completing the thrust.
Two people face each other holding crossed bokken in a guard position. Each person applies some pressure. Theoretically, they are at a standstill: If one tries to thrust, the diagonal positioning of the other's sword will foil the strike. If he takes the pressure off his opponent's sword (for example, to go around the guard), the opponent can thrust. The only way out of the impasse is to quickly slap his opponent's sword aside, and thrust before she can recover.

But, with correct technique, his opponent can defend against this attack. The key is to retain a relaxed, one-pointed focus. Using muscle to resist the sideways slap is completely counterproductive. What does work is to stay relaxed. With a relaxed focus, the defender can return to her guard position with lightning speed, before the attacker can complete his thrust. You are attacked, but so what? It doesn't penetrate your defense.

How does this relate to playing music?


I make a million mistakes when I play. I would love to make no mistakes. But if I focus on not making mistakes, I make more! Instead, if I stay relaxed and centered on listening to myself and my fellow musicians, I make fewer mistakes. And when mistakes happen, so what? Everybody keeps playing and the music is great!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a "Rush" Woven Seat Chair Using Old Jeans (or Fabric Scraps)

Keep One Point

Kotsu-Kotsu