Consistency


At the beginning of nearly every semester at Rutgers Kokikai Aikido, I have at least one new student who says something like this:

"Sensei, I really love aikido, can you tell me how I can practice more often than two days a week? I want to practice every day."

I always tell them that two days a week is optimal, especially considering how much school work they are likely to have. My teachers always said that two days a week was just enough for people who have a "life in the world," whether it's work, school, or taking care of family.

I have heard that the cheetah is the fastest animal on land at 113km/hr, but cheetahs can only maintain top speed for short bursts. A slower animal with staying power can overtake a cheetah. There are plenty of martial arts stories about students who are in a hurry to become masterful, and the moral is always the same: there are no shortcuts and consistency is key to mastery.

If the student is insistent that they want to practice more often, I tell them they can practice ki exercises or breathing exercises at home. Invariably I never see these students again.

I offer this advice if you are really excited about your aikido practice (or yoga, another martial art, playing music, losing weight, or almost any endeavor) and want to become really accomplished: Be consistent. If you are signed up to practice twice a week, come to every class. If there's something you are supposed to do every day, do it every day, even if it's only for 15 minutes. Even when you feel stressed, tired, or not in the mood. Get your gear, put on your shoes, and go to class. Sit down at your piano and play.

Consistency is one of the qualities of a true master.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a "Rush" Woven Seat Chair Using Old Jeans (or Fabric Scraps)

Keep One Point

Kotsu-Kotsu