I'm not doing that!

Often I see students in a yoga or aikido class who, while they hear what the instructor is saying, have decided not to do it. As a teacher, of course I always wonder why.

There are legitimate reasons for choosing not to do what the teacher asks you to do: you have an injury or other concern for your safety, or you feel that you're being asked to do something way beyond your ability. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about when the student says to him/herself, "No, that's the wrong way," or "I prefer to do it a different way," or "My other (better) teacher said to do it differently so that's how I'm going to do it."

I have to admit to having these thoughts myself sometimes.  But I realize that they are the result of inflexibility in my thinking. I know I tend to think my first teachers were the best. I tend to stick to old habits and avoid trying new things. And I will go through all sorts of mental gyrations to convince myself that all these negative thoughts are not about me being unwilling to try something new!

If you come to class to grow, to learn, to become more flexible, stronger, more able to react quickly and effectively in any situation, then these thoughts are holding you back. Learn to recognize them and not act on them. Try the thing you're not used to. Listen to the instructor with an open and compassionate heart. Open your mind, to help develop more flexibility in both mind and body.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a "Rush" Woven Seat Chair Using Old Jeans (or Fabric Scraps)

Keep One Point

Kotsu-Kotsu