Sometimes Things Are Not What They Seem.


Here's a little story that shows that things are not always as they outwardly appear. 

This situation arose recently while I was teaching an aikido class. I was generally keeping an eye on the room while I conferred with my co-instructor. I noticed Andy and Raul were looking towards me, not practicing. I walked over. "What's up?"

Andy: "We're having some trouble with the shomenuchi attack." (Shomenuchi is a strike to the top of the head, based on a traditional sword strike.)

Me: "What do you mean? You don't know how to attack shomenuchi?" 

Andy:  "Apparently not..."

Suddenly I realized:  Andy wears a white belt; he has practiced regularly for several years, but in another style of aikido. Raul is a blue belt who was wearing street clothes because he had just returned after a year away and didn't have his uniform. Each one thought the other was the beginner. Each one was asserting his point of view as correct.

After a little explanation to both parties, (apparently the shomenuchi attack is different in Andy's school,) the situation was resolved. 

I should say that both of these men are wonderful human beings and dedicated to their practice. Here they offered quite a beautiful vignette of how conflict can arise: each one was momentarily invested in asserting his identity (I know I look like a white belt, but.../I know I am only wearing street clothes but...). Neither was able to soften and widen his perspective to see the real situation. Thank you both!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a "Rush" Woven Seat Chair Using Old Jeans (or Fabric Scraps)

Keep One Point

Kotsu-Kotsu